Monday, June 27, 2011

UALR OpNote 020

11 Jan 2011

TO:  All UALR Officers and Candidates
FR:  UALR Chief Pilot
RE:  stepping up to the plate

So you’d like to call yourself a United Regional pilot?  Let’s just see.

Every once in awhile there comes an opportunity to test your character – to show what you are made of.  Now is one of those times.  There are two opportunities in front of us, and I’m laying down the challenge for each and every pilot to step up in at least one of these two ways.

  1. As you probably know, BVA is in need of funding, and now is the time for United Regional pilots to show leadership in this area.  I have personally made a sizeable donation that should help keep BVA running for a month or two.   But more than that I have also taken on the mission of contacting companies who may have an interest in advertising on the BVA website.  My partner in this is CA Chad Lacey from Cape Air.  Together our plan is to create a stream of advertising that in the long run will support BVA.  But that time is not here yet. 
So now I must ask of you, what are YOU doing to support BVA?  What are you doing to show leadership, to support that which you love?  Given who we are, given what United Regional stands for, given how much BVA has done for each and every pilot, I would expect that UALR pilots would rush to step up to the plate.  Here’s how you can.

Obviously if you have Paypal, please make a donation.  As in, now.  There are links to the Paypal donation system on the main BVA webpage.  However, I recognize that many pilots don’t have access to a credit or debit card, or even a Paypal account for which to send funds.  Still I would like to encourage all pilots to step away from the computer for a few hours and offer a deal to your parents, neighbors, friends or relatives.   The deal is this….

Offer to do an extra few chores around the house in exchange for them making a $20 contribution on your behalf to BVA.  Or talk with the elderly lady next door and ask if she needs any chores done, her snow shoveled, her garage cleaned, or heavy objects moved.  Believe me, your parents will be thrilled that (1) you are off the computer for a few hours, (2) that you are interested in doing extra chores, and (3) that you are working for something that you value, something important to you.

College students?  Forgo a case of beer this week, or a pizza.  Send those funds to BVA instead.  Hit up your coin jar, look between the couch cushions.  You and I both know you have at least $11.85 in between the couch cushions.  Put it in an envelope and send it in if you have to.  You can even send it to my office if you like, and I’ll make the deposit for you.  Contact me and I’ll give you the address. 

As added incentive, I will personally match any donations made by UALR pilots up until Feb 15, 2011.  You contribute $5?  Super.  I’ll contribute $5 on top of it.  Better still, contribute $100?  I match that too.  Winning the lottery this week?  We’ll have to talk offline about that one. 

In order to qualify for the matching funds, please send a copy of your Paypal donation receipt to me at Chuck@BostonVirtualATC.com.  I will send you back a copy of my matching donation confirmation.  After Feb 15, 2011 I will publish the total donations raised by UALR during this fund raising drive.

In addition, I am sending a memo over to the Chief Pilots of our sister airlines Cape Air and Jet Blue encouraging them to do something similar.  While I expect that UALR will far and above outpace CapeAir or Jet Blue in terms of donations, I may be wrong.  I will ask my counterparts at those airlines to track their donations also and we’ll just see who can contribute the most in the next 30 days.  You can also feel free to nudge your pilot colleagues regarding same via Skype.

  1. Second, fly your butt to Denver on Friday.  I’m of the opinion that at this stage of the company – with as many pilots as we have who think they’re baddass – that we have no business calling ourselves a regional airline if we can’t run a company of RJ’s halfway across the country. 
Remember that one of the items to complete for your CaptQual items is cross country navigation.  Yes, I’ll be watching.  None of that FMC/GPS or “star trek mode” crap too.  And no heavies either.  Yes, that means you Mark, and you Nolan.  Strap your butt to an RJ, grab your Juliet charts, and hop your way there in the proper UALR fashion sporting team colors. 

I’ll be timing my flight to arrive there under ATC control in the thick of the first day’s traffic.  You should too.   See you there.

  1. Please note that my BVA email address has changed to chuck@bostonvirtualatc.com and my gamespy ID has changed to Chuck.   This is to better facilitate consistency when contacting companies for advertising, and also for giving airborne tours of BVA to prospective advertisers.
  1. Lastly, I’ve asked CA Matt to head up candidate training operations, orientation flights, and assigning instructors where needed.  Please direct all questions related to candidate training to him.  I’ve also asked CA Andrew to head up FO training and prepping officers for CaptQual, and likewise officers should contact him for questions related to FO advancement and CaptQual.
  Ps.  Dynamite turnout in Hawaii tonight.  Nice work gang.


No comments:

Post a Comment